It’s important to select a massage therapist who is licensed and trained in the style of massage you’ll be receiving. At Serenity Massage NYC, Rosa Alicea is a Licensed Massage Therapist and professional member of the American Massage Therapy Association.
Experienced at interacting with clients and providing massage therapy that soothes muscles, heals soreness and eliminates stress, Rosa was trained at the Swedish Institute in New York City, where she received in-depth education on anatomy, physiology, myology, kinesiology, neurology and pathology. She holds an Associate Degree in Occupational Studies.
Rosa completed internships at the Ronald McDonald House, where she provided chair massages to cancer patients and family members; New York University, where she specialized in sports massage for student athletes; the Cobble Hill Health Center in Brooklyn, where she treated Alzheimer patients; and The Therapeutic Massage Clinic at the Swedish Institute, where she learned therapeutic, Shiatsu and relaxation massage.
in the comfort
Gift Certificates Are Available Online Now
Types of Massage Therapy
There are many types of massages, each with specific purposes and methods. At Serenity Massage NYC we offer:
- Swedish: The most common type of massage, Swedish massage is designed to relax and energize.
- Shiatsu: Also known as acupressure, shiatsu is a finger pressure massage technique meant to relax the deep muscles and tissue, reduce stress and increase mental and spiritual awareness.
- Chair: This is a massage of the upper body, fully clothed, while seated in a special portable chair.
- Myofascial Release: A tender mixture of stretches and massage techniques designed to eliminate pain, increase range of motion and balance the body.
Making the Most of a Massage
A successful massage is the result of a partnership between you and your massage therapist. As such, there are a number of things you should expect of each other, and a number of actions you can take to maximize the massage experience.
At Serenity Massage NYC, our clients can expect us to:
- Start and end sessions on time (We provide a 50 percent discount off the next session if we cannot keep an appointment.)
- Be professional and competent
- Return calls in a timely manner
- Confirm appointments one day before the scheduled session
- Customize treatments to meet their needs
- Treat them with respect
- Ensure equipment and supplies are clean
- Properly drape them with sheet and or towel at all times, so only the area being treated is exposed
In turn, we expect our clients to:
- Be on time
- Be clean and showered
- Provide a health history and updates as necessary (Client files are kept confidential.)
- Treat us with respect; sexual harassment will never be tolerated
- Pay at the time of service
It’s also important to prepare for your massage, and to actively participate in your massage therapy to ensure you derive maximum benefits. This includes:
- Avoid eating immediately before your session, and limit caffeine or other stimulants.
- Share information such as any tender areas or injuries, as well as preferences in temperature, lighting, music, etc.
- Focus on the massage itself and practicing proper breathing techniques to release tension.
Remember, the goal of massage therapy is to relieve stress, alleviate pain and balance the mind, body and spirit. It’s something you deserve so book an appointment today! (And don’t forget, a massage makes a great gift for any occasion or a special treat for someone you love.)